Thursday, November 27, 2008

I am Thankful for. . .

I was picking Cayden up from school a couple days ago and was looking at his class bulletin board (Located in the hall outside his class) while I waited for the bell to ring. The board was title "I am Thankful for. . . " and all the kids had written something and drawn a picture to go along with what they were thankful for. I scanned the board and came to Cayden's. His picture was a little boy with his hand out dropping brown little balls into a bucket on the ground and written below his said . . . I am thankful I am not . . . the final word had a bunch of eraser marks but it looked like Poo. I was shocked!! I suddenly started scanning the board and read what the other kids in the class were thankful for . . . mom, fluffy, daddy, my sister . . . 19 sweet 1st graders and my rotten kid was thankful he was not POO?? Why would his teacher even put that on the board? So the bell rings, he hugs his teacher on the way out, and surprised to see me (I normally dont get to pick him up from school) runs over and jumps into my arms giving me the biggest bear hug ever. I ask him to tell me about his picture (prepared to discuss the inappropriateness of it) and he reads it to me . . . I am thankful I am not POOR! I cracked up . . .it made perfect sense, those brown little balls were coins, not poo and as I looked closely there was a faint "r" in the midst of the erasing mess. I told him what I thought it had said and he couldnt stop laughing at me and basically gave me the inappropriate talk I was preparing to give him!

On this day of thanks, I am thankful for my Cayden. Last night he was watching tv and I was in the kitchen doing dishes and out of the blue (assuming it must have been commercial) he yelled at me and asked if I knew why he was the luckiest kid on the planet . . . . and his response. . . . because I have you (yep that would be me) as a mommy!! I love that kid to pieces and one day some woman is going to hate me for raising such a mommy's boy :)

On this day of thanks, I am also extremely lucky to be Aubrey's mommy. She may be transitioning into a preteen with a big attitude but she still has the biggest heart in all the world. She is quiet, polite, and thoughtful. She is a good student and a huge helper to everyone. She volunteers her lunch recess every day to help in the autism class at school. I am proud of her and the little adult she is.

Happy Thanksgiving Friends

5 comments:

Audra said...

You should be very proud. You have done an awesome job raising those kids and they are amazing kids. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jaycee and Jayden's Mama and Dada said...

Your post is hilarious. It made me laugh and I could totally see Cayden putting that on his work! Too cute! I love that you are blogging :)

Lewko Family Blog said...

Love you and I am glad to be reading about your life. :-) Happy Thanksgiving a bit late!

Gail Felsman said...

Bonnie, thanks so much for sharing that darling story about Cayden. He is a bit of a character. I watched the two illicit videos of Cayden singing in the ward Primary Program. He was amazing. I think he might have a bit of his Aunt Gail in him. I have always been a ham. Lots of little kids that are hams with those they are comfortable with are not public hams like that. Can I tell you a secret...it was the music and the opportunities to perform the music that was one of the huge things that kept me connected to the church...the opportunities to express my feelings, too, in talks, etc...even if what I said or did wasn't exactly always like everyone else. Maybe that will be something that will help keep Cayden connected. Cayden is his own little man and he does love you and you need to make sure that you value the influence you have over him and keep him as close to God as you can. It will make all the difference in the world. Don't be frantic...but make sure you realize that most of his blessings come from God. It will keep him grounded and it also improves the quality of his blessings- he will see them as divine and make him feel more special because he will see himself more clearly for who he is- special and sacred and very very important. Keep up the good work. You are so like your mom, pragmatic and not too uptight. Love, Aunt Gail

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

hahaha That story is just hilarious!
Tate