Sunday, April 5, 2009

Whether they like it or not, my kiddos are going to be RUNNERS!! haha, they LOVE hearing that!



Determined to having my children follow in my foot tracks (quite literally) I signed them up to run in the Jr. Carlsbad. The race took place this past Saturday and I am happy to report they did very well! I didnt have super high expectations. . . I didnt have much success getting them to practice running the last couple of weeks (and when I did, it usually ended in thrown water bottles and tears -gotta love my Aubrey's preteen attitude)! And on race day, they were less than thrilled to wake up at 6am on their first day of Spring break! So I was very, very surprised when they both ended their individual race with smiles on their faces and a great attitude about competing in the future!

Auntie Shawna happened to be in town visiting for the day, and Aubrey's friend Jamie was a good sport and woke up early to go cheer them on (I think next year I will have her trained too)! We got there in plenty of time to check in, browse the Health Expo, and collect their race gear and fun samples!




The races were by age level - Aubrey competed in the mile with the 9 year olds and to my surprise ran almost the entire way! So proud!! Cayden competed in the half mile with the 6 year olds and also did a stellar job (although, I think he was hoping to win)! But honestly, I think there favorite part was the Jamba Juice (and other treats) at the finish line!
Cant wait to run a marathon with my kiddos in the future!!


6 comments:

Debi said...

I love it! Way to go Bonnie getting your kids to participate. They will love you for it especially when they never have health problems! Yeah! Congrats Cayd and Aub. Love Debi

Audra said...

You did it again. How fun. I don't know how you manage to do so many fun things with your kids when you are already so busy. Looks like the kids had fun.

weplusthree said...

How fun!! I am glad that they enjoyed it. So you're putting off the marathon for a few extra years then...

Bryan and Molly said...

They look so cute!! Im glad it went so well!

Lewko Family Blog said...

Can I compete in the Jr Carlsbad? Is there a 28 yr old division? Great job Cayden and Aubrey!!!

Terry and Gail said...

For some reason, I have never had the desire to run a marathon or even a half marathon. I am definitely impressed with your kids' willingness to participate. No one is very cheery at 6AM. That was perfectly acceptable behavior. That they were positive and enthusiastic at the end is not even normal...it is very authentic and refreshing. Of course, your kids are so darling. And I agree with Audra about how you do so much with your children when you are so busy. You are probably as amazing as your kids...you guys deserve each other- amazing begats amazing. Makes sense to me. Thanks for sharing. Love, Aunt Gail