Saturday, April 11, 2009

Our walk to the beach . . . from Escondido :)

So a couple of days ago my sister and I came up with this crazy plan to walk to the beach . . . not even sure how the idea got started, I think it was Shawna (she tends to be the "strange" one). . . but anyhooo, I agreed to the idea and the rest is history!

On Friday, I received a little doubt from those at work, but if you know me . . . tell me I cant do something and I will go out of my way to prove you wrong (guess I am a tiny bit stubborn like that)! So when we woke up at 6am to super gray, cloudy skies, wet sidewalks, and a morning of showers in the weather forecast, we put on our running shoes (and sweatshirts) and headed out as planned!

We mapped out our route a few days prior and found a course complete with sidewalks and safe neighborhoods :) -Country Club to Woodland to Mission to San Marcos Blvd to Palomar Airport Drive, leading straight to the coast! We ran the first leg, we believe about 5 miles and made our first stop at 711 for drinks (and a donut for Shawn - so much for the healthy aspect of the day)! Besides four sore legs, two swollen hands (haha), a few blisters on Shawna's feet, and a couple of rain scares, we had a worry free adventure! We walked and talked, laughed about our endeavour, posed like tourists, and overall had a lot of fun! We kind of expected it to be a day long adventure, but surprisingly reached Carlsbad beach (or the cliffs of) at 11:15am (yep, still in the morning hours)! We somehow manage to find a path and tumble down the mountain to the rocky shore where we touched the water as planned, and then returned back to the outlet mall where our lovely ride home awaited!

Below are the pictures mapping out our 18 mile journey!












10 comments:

Audra said...

You two are so funny. Looks like you had fun and I am sure all that walking probably erased that doughnut your sister ate:)

Tate, Jody, Jocelyn, and Tyler said...

Crazy!!! You both make me laugh. I can't imagine. I thought it would be farther than 18 miles. How fun though.
jody

Lewko Family Blog said...

That is awesome! I never wold have thought to do something like that from Escondido. Way to want something and go out and do it!

Debi said...

I love it. You guys have so much fun together! When you are old and gray you will remember all your crazy adventures. I always loved visiting you all every summer because we always did something fun. Love, Debi

weplusthree said...

That sounds like so much fun!!! 18 miles, you guys rock!! Sorry the weather wasn't too great though. It's easier from my house, 12 miles from a bike path, along the 56, spits you out at Torrey Pines. I would love to do it this summer sometime, and Ben could meet us with the kids for a day at the beach! What do ya say!?!? (it can be shorter and runnable if you start at a different exit)

Wyndi said...

You guys are STUDS!!! Good job!!

Lissa said...

good job, I am proud of you!

Shawna said...

Was so NOT my idea. . . but I did love it when I heard it!

Terry and Gail said...

Don't you just love wiggling. Nothing does more your mind than doing a lot of wiggling and having that "I did it" feeling once you are done. It is actually easier in cooler weather to do a long walk like that. Perfect temperature for walking far is between 50 to 60 with no rain. We get weather like that in Idaho quite a bit. It is perfect. Love Aunt Gail

Rookie on the Run said...

That is so whacky... and SO cool! What a fun thing to do with your sister.

Maybe you ought to walk the Rock 'n' Roll with me. You could totally do it! :D

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog, by the way. It was nice to get a comment from someone I've actually met! ha ha